Monday, October 25, 2010

Maker of Things, Baker of Cookies?

There's something you should know about me...

I'm obsessed with Martha Stewart.

We're not talking like, a John Hinckley Jr. kind of obsession here, but there's something about her level of craft OCD that I really relate to and admire. She makes me want to fold perfect hospital corners on my sheets and repurpose old suitcases into chic storage cabinets. I mean, for her Halloween special, the woman (and her amazing craft department) made cocktail glasses out of cored apples, complete with a decorative orange sugar rim.



AMAZING.


(On a side note, I also have respect for Martha for being one of the few celebrity jailbirds to serve her time with dignity.
Paris Hilton could learn a thing or two.)

So lately, the combination of my DVR episodes of Martha and the nip of Autumn on the New England air has filled me with a strange desire: I feel the need to bake.

Now you may be thinking "What's so odd about baking?" But for me, this is not normal behavior. My boyfriend Steve cooks about 99% of the meals we eat and when it's my turn to cook, usually we order out.

But I couldn't help myself. Martha beckoned. And so I made cookies that were SO delicious, even She would be proud. (Well, she would have been if they hadn't gotten ever so slightly burned. Fail.)




For anyone interested in a perfect Autumn afternoon tea cookie, you can find the recipe here. They're amazing Orange Cardamom Cookies that were featured in Gourmet magazine. (See how little I cook? I'm boasting about making amazing cookies by following someone else's recipe as if I re-invented the wheel).


A tasty diversion from craft show preparation, but now I'm back on track.


Next stop, TWIST!


1 comment:

  1. This recipe, and seeing them in little star shapes, reminds me of the amazing orange cardamom cookies that TJs had a couple years ago. I'm going to HAVE to make these now. I loved those cookies.

    ReplyDelete